The Fair Grove Historical and Preservation Society began in 1977. In 1984, its members purchased Fair Grove’s 1883 grist mill and 2 acres of adjoining land that became a Greene County Historical Site and was listed on the Registry of National Historic Sites. Since then it has been restored as one of only two working “steam-powered” grist mills in the United States.
On the corner of Main Street and Old Mill Road (State Highway 125) the mill grounds are located just north of Fair Grove’s historical town square that features several shops, flea markets, cafes, a gazebo, and the town’s original pre-Civil War cemetery with a restored log school house.
The mill ground’s pavilion is an overnight campground on the Trans American coast-to-coast bicycle route that provides showers and restrooms. It is also available by reservation for wedding receptions, picnics, reunions, etc. During spring and summer months it is used as a farmers market every Wednesday afternoon.
Several yearly events welcome one and all to enjoy Fair Grove’s Old Mill Grounds. An annual Ice Cream Social is held on the 3rd Saturday of July that features many flavors of ice cream, homemade cobblers, live music, and a fireworks display after dark. During the last full weekend in September over 30,000 visitors and local folks line the streets for an old-time parade that kicks off the two-day Fair Grove Heritage Reunion. This celebration has over 300 crafts booths and lots of early-day demonstrations like watching corn being ground in the Old Mill. On the first Saturday night in December at the Old Mill there is a wonderful Christmas Party with entertainment provided by Fair Grove’s school groups, plus a visit from Santa.
Copyright © Fair Grove Historical Society. All rights reserved.
June 21, 2015
7:30 pm at the Lions club